Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: Pavel Lozhkin <pavel () atrivo com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 17:20:24 +0400

At the very least, they do have your billing address ;-).

I send about 1000+ notifications a day from DShield. Sure,
most of them trigger autoreplies. But I find, that some
ISPs do appear to takes some action. (scans stop... maybe
they just change the IP of the scanner).

I usually get better responses from smaller ISPs and Universities.
Non-auto responses from large ISPs are an exception.

I believe there is only one way to stop the Nimda and other similar
viruses - to stop them on all firewalls (Cisco can do that for example)
on transit. And write autocomplainer (as i did and do) which will notify
ISPs about the activity. This can be useful for them.

--
Pavel
Cheif Information Security Officer