Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: FW: Possible flaw in XFree?

From: Michael Jennings <mej () kainx org>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 18:21:38 -0400

On Saturday, 29 June 2002, at 16:38:03 (-0700),
Nick Lange wrote:

Which once again leads us back to a point that perhaps more people
would agree with, the option should *not* be enabled by default
precisely for the annoyance/information loss factor. First off, any
user can kill off any other user's session (provided they have
access to the hardware running the session) which can lead to
potential data loss for any running applications.  This could be
done out of malice, etc.

If we're talking about Ctrl-Alt-Backspace killing an X session on
XFree86 started by startx or the like, then we're talking about an X
session running on the main console of a system.  Given that fact,
said malicious user could just as easily power off the system.  Or
unplug it.  Or any number of other actions allowed by physical access
to a workstation/server.

This all gets back to the "security of a system to which an attacker
has physical access" thread that has been hashed out many times
before.  I suggest dropping this silliness and consulting a mailing
list archive near you.

If a user starts X using startx and fails to employ the "exec"
technique mentioned earlier, this user should not walk away from
his/her terminal.  If this user does so, this user is an idiot.  The
Zap key sequence is a good feature, and the rest of us should not be
made to suffer on account of the idiocy of the few.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej () kainx org>
n+1, Inc., http://www.nplus1.net/         Author, Eterm (www.eterm.org)