Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

FW: Possible flaw in XFree?

From: "Andy Wood" <network.design () cox net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 09:19:10 -0400

        First, I do not believe there is s problem with switching
consoles as each sonsole is the users responsibility, but if they secure
their consoles and xwin and you can end around it with a default config
there is a problem.  Microsoft got tore up about being able to
ctrl-alt-del and end tasking the screen saver to avoid the password
issue.  It is a serious security hole, and, because of that should not
be the default configuration, even if it is fixable.  Someone only has
to miss it on one system once and a security breach can occur.  Using a
graphical (give me a break) manager is surely not an acceptable
solution.

        I hate MS and it makes me happy to hear them get slapped around
when a ridiculous default config causes a major security hole. So, the
same standard needs to be applied here...especially when you know who is
watching and looking for anything to discredit a real OS to better
leverage their sub-standard trash code.

Andy