Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Apache Exploit

From: Jefferson Ogata <seclists () antibozo net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:14:22 -0400

Michal Zalewski wrote:
This is not to say that delivering signals is not the way to exploit
problems like that - conditions that would otherwise lead directly to SEGV
because of access to non-allocated memory, for example. Quite
(un)fortunately, there are only two signals that could be perhaps
delivered to Apache (which, keep in mind, is running as a standalone
daemon) - SIGPIPE and SIGURG - that is, if they are not ignored and if the
handler does something interesting, which I'm not so sure about (but
haven't looked in a while).

Seems to me SIGTERM is likely as well, though it may not happen until someone reboots the webserver. SIGCHLD is also a possibility if an external CGI is involved, no?

--
Jefferson Ogata : Internetworker, Antibozo
<ogata () antibozo net>  http://www.antibozo.net/ogata/