Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ALERT: Working Resources BadBlue #2 (DoS, Heap Overflow)

From: <badc0ded () badc0ded com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 20:48:09 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Murphy" <mattmurphy () kc rr com>
To: "SecurITeam News" <news () securiteam com>; <bugtraq () securityfocus com>
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 8:36 PM
Subject: ALERT: Working Resources BadBlue #2 (DoS, Heap Overflow)

ALERT: Working Resources BadBlue #2
Vendor Notified: July 8, 2002

Working Resources have been informed of a
pair of denial of service conditions in
the BadBlue PWS.

The first vulnerability lies in the way a
GET request is handled.  A specially
crafted GET request can crash the target
server.

Also, a remotely exploitable overflow was
found in an ISAPI that ships with the
server.  Exploitation of this vulnerability
will cause an access violation, and does
not seem to allow code execution.

Additional technical details will be made
available as fixes are released for the
vulnerabilities in question.

Alert Published July 8, 2002

"The reason the mainstream is thought
of as a stream is because it is
so shallow."
                     - Author Unknown

A month or so ago I decided to lose my win32 virginity so to speak and
downloaded some software from downloads.com. One of the programs I
downloaded was badblue and I seem to recall something about a  /%2e%2e%2f/
directory traversal issue. At the time I didnt think about it too much,
being heartbroken over not finding a decent debugger for windows and left
the software alone. But after seeing posts on bugtraq about badblue I
figured maybe vuln-dev would be intrested in this.

Oh btw, what debuggers are you people using on windows?