Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: VANED LABS: icecast filesystem disclosure

From: <matt () palecrow com>
Date: 16 Jul 2002 20:25:58 -0000

Icecast allows for remote probing of the underlying
filesystem structure.  (on a side note, this can also
be used to list
files with a .mp3 extension anywhere on the system.
send_file() does do
traversal checking.)

Just an FYI: maybe Icecast has further info about this,
but I think it might be a good idea to 'jail' Icecast
if possible.

A little while back I wrote a paper describing how to
do that specifically with Icecast.  You'll have to
search for 'icecast' in the following page to get to
the walkthrough.

http://www.palecrow.com/chroot-jail-paper.html

If they haven't already, I'd like it if Icecast
developers would incorporate the ability to jail the
server during the install, as a further protection
against bad inputs and file snooping.

Thanks!

Matt Borland