Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: How to hide a file ? (From McAfee)

From: "Jon Zobrist" <kgb () ussr com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:03:32 -0700

McAfee Vshield doesn't pick up ADS's by default. You have to enable scanning
of all files in your Vshield settings.

Tested copying from share to share, scanning directly, opening.

Tested with a Codered captured from netcat. Attempts to open the file in
notepad result in McAfee stopping me and asking for action.

notepad codered.txt <access denied & mcafee warning>
type codered.txt > test.txt:codered.txt
notepad test.txt:codered.txt <opens fine>

Turning on scan all files causes attempts to access the ADS to give the same
access denied error as opening the original.
This could be useful to sneak in trojans/virii to a vscan'd server from an
already compromised host, say a users computer with NTFS....?

-Jon