Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: How to hide a file ? (From most people)

From: "Pieter-Bas IJdens" <pbijdens () emea mi4 org uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:06:48 +0100

When using the US version of win2k build 2195 with sp2, ie6 and all security
patches / hotfixes installed this does indeed rename the file to 'Control
Panel' and shows the control panel icon, but when double clicking the file
it indeed pops up an open-with box, and not the control panel. So I can
confirm that Bojan Zdrnja's observation was correct.

Also, in a command prompt box this shows up in dir as:

01/06/2002  19:37                   44 Control
Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08
002B30309D}

And on a samba mount as

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           44 Jan  6 19:37 Control
Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}

So, I think it is not usable to really hide a file you don't want to be
found. It's a fun trick though, but I think that calling it 'VB300D.DLL' and
hiding it in the system directory works just as well...

  = pb =