Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: How to hide a file ?

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 16:22:05 -0800

"Young, Brandon" wrote:

 If I remember correctly from the earlier thread on this same topic
you stated that this is only possible on NTFS and
that if you were to move the ADS file to FAT that you would lose
the files attached or something to that effect. The
question I had was this. Would it be possible to take a file (test.txt)
and bind multiple tools in ADS and the transfer
the file via ftp on to another box, also is using NTFS, would the
programs still accessible via the start command. I
tested this with a Win2K box and NT4.0 and was unsuccessful.

This is strictly an NTFS feature, so the vast majority of
protocols won't be able to extract the ADS, send it seperately,
and put it back on the other end.

This begs a couple of questions in my mind:

Do ADS' remain when transferring files between two NT boxes
running NTFS, via any of the MS file transfer protocols?

Has anyone tried stuffing something into an ADS via, say, FTP?
By that I mean using a non-ADS-aware FTP server, can I
put file:ADS and have it work?

I assume ADS follows the permissions of the host file?  I.e.
I have to be able to write to the file itself to be able to stuff
something in it's ADS?

(I have no NTFS to play with at the moment.)

                                        BB