Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Comcast man-in-the-middle attack

From: J Edgar Hoover <zorch () totally righteous net>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 16:08:02 -0800 (PST)

On 8 Feb 2002, jon schatz wrote:

Whether the device is performing correctly is not the question. The
question is whether the device is appropriate at all in this context.

It certainly is. Comcast (like all ISPS) sells alot more bandwidth than
they actually have. Without some type of caching system, their network
performance would suffer greatly.

***Caching wasn't turned on!***

Besides, your argument is that user privacy should be sacrificed to save a
few cents each in bandwidth costs?

But you're not sending just any packet. you're sending an http request.
We dealt with this issue at my previous employer, and non-http requests
on port 80 were just passed through without any interference.

This implimentation grabs everything going to port 80, anywhere,
regardless of higher level protocol.

Also, I may not be sending "just any packet", but i'm also NOT sending it
to a comcast server. It's not theirs.

I truly don't buy it. No offense, but your level of paranoia seems to
match your email handle. I mean, if they really wanted to track all

I *catch* them snarfing my traffic, and I'm paranoid?