Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

searching through the address space of a process

From: Franklin DeMatto <franklin.lists () qdefense com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 00:32:10 -0400

Is there a way for a process (i.e., shellcode) to search through its address space (looking for a particular string, etc.)? I'm interested particularly in doing this under Windows, although Unix would be nice also. Can this be done without using any API/syscalls, just in assembly alone?

I can see to basic ways of doing it:
1) Determining the address space, and then searching it
2) Trying every block, but catching the gpf/segfault exceptions

However, I do not know how to implement either one

Franklin

Franklin DeMatto
Senior  Analyst, qDefense Penetration Testing
http://qDefense.com
qDefense: Making Security Accessible