Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: weird Windows 2000/XP bug

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:45:02 -0800

Rodrigo Goya wrote:

What if something like this would be used in a worm like Nimda or CodeRed,
would it crash all the infected servers? Bet that'd really call the admin's
attention. Though it'd make the propagation a little difficult...

Maybe by infecting mail clients (like Nimda) and make them scan for web
servers and crash them?

I *think* Nimda and CodeRed end up with enough privilege to simply
issue a reboot command if they want.  As I recall, CodeRed II
does reboot after a while, which gets rid of any CodeRed I running.

                                                BB