Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: xmalloc buffer overflow?

From: Kev <klmitch () MIT EDU>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 23:29:58 -0500

can't reproduce it
# uname -a
Linux chpc01 2.2.17-14smp #1 SMP Mon Feb 5 18:40:03 EST 2001 i686 unknown
# vi `perl -e 'print "." x 90000000'`
bash: /bin/vi: Argument list too long
# vi -- version
VIM - Vi IMproved 5.4 (1999 Jul 25, compiled Jul 27 1999 18:09:29)

I feel I should point out that the error you're getting is actually from
the shell, not from vi.  Shells generally have an upper bound on the number
of arguments they'll accept for a command.  You can tell this from the
fact that the first word of the error message is "bash:"; it wouldn't make
sense for vi to print that out as the leader for its error messages.  In
this case, vi never even got executed.  You should try a slightly less
extreme example, as suggested in another email...
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <klmitch () mit edu>