Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: vi buffer overflow

From: Kaneda Akira <k_aneda () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 19:23:56 +1100 (EST)

Did some testing of my own.

on Redhat 7.0 (VIM 5.7.8)
# vi `perl -e 'print "A" x 9000'`
Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV
Vim: Finished.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
# uname -a
Linux riven 2.2.16-22 #1 Tue Aug 22 16:49:06 EDT 2000 i686 unknown
#

however du on redhat 7 was okay (du version 4.0x)

Also tested my slackware 7 system, vi and du didnt
crash (vi/elvis 2.1_4, du 4.0)
[Slackware system: Linux myst 2.2.16 #121 Fri Jun 16 20:43:40 PDT 2000
i486 unknown]

--- KF <dotslash () snosoft com> wrote:
Not sure how big of a deal either of these are due
to the fact that they
are not suid... any thoughts?

# vi `perl -e 'print "A" x 9000'`
Memory fault - core dumped

# du `perl -e 'print "A" x 9000'`
Memory fault - core dumped

# uname -a
SCO_SV scosysv 3.2 5.0.6 i386

-KF

---
Kaneda Akira
ICQ#49107701
Email: k_aneda () yahoo com
Mobile: 0418 445 821 (Australia only)
--
That's why we spend so much time trying to understand our own
motivations and those of others.  That's what makes life so