Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Infected jpeg files?

From: <jove () gaza halo nu>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 12:16:46 -0600 (CST)

R Ginski,

        If there was some sort of buffer overflow/other way of causing the
code to function in a manner inconsistant with it's design due to the
content/formatting of the .jpg image then yes, there could be a payload
designed to be set off upon viewing of the .jpg image.  Otherwise, the
.jpg image specifies (simplified) values of pixels in a compressed format
and thus the .jpg specification does not include the ability to run code
by default.

-Jove