Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: weird Windows 2000/XP bug

From: GomoR <GomoR () gomor org>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 09:36:59 +0100

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 00:14:00 +0100
ALoR <Alor () iol it> wrote:

At 19.47 30-10-2001, awe () centrum cz wrote:
Hi,
I've traced this and problem is in API function WriteFile, further
in some NT internal call (int 2E), it only occurs when console is

I've traced it with the VC++ debugger and it crasched on
ExitProcess()
after the printf.
but the really amazing thing is that debugging it another time let
me no
crash.
again and it crashed in the CRT I/O routines.

        Hi list,

        I just read a paper on format string vulnerabilities, and this
problem makes me thing that maybe it is related to such a
vulnerability.

        In this paper, there is an interresting section on the
__atexit() function (IIRC), being executed when the exit() function is
called to end a program. It is written for Unix systems, but maybe
it can help to understand.

        The paper is written by Team-Teso, and is available here:

        http://www.team-teso.net/articles/formatstring/

    FreeBSD Network - http://www.gomor.org/
    Security Engineer Junior
    =-----=> root is the only God I believe in <=-----=