Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Modern hw-killing virus feasible

From: Syzop <syz () DDS NL>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 05:28:21 +0100

Robert Sandilands wrote:

One processor have a way of doing software upgrades to it's
"micro-code". That may also have interesting effects depending on your
ability to recover from this as with the motherboards mentioned.

I remember you can upload microcode to a P2/P3/etc,
but after a reboot it's gone (volatile).
So at least ia32 ppl are safe (I don't know about ia64).
Do you know of any processors which you can 'flash' (or whatever
this upgrading of microcode is called) permanently?

    Syzop.