Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: terminal weirdness?

From: Matt Zimmerman <mdz () CSH RIT EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 02:29:10 -0500

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 10:40:07AM -0600, Blake Frantz wrote:

I telnet'd into port 1080, pressed enter, and got disconnected...fine.
But, after I got disconnected "VT102" was displayed at my command prompt.
I figured it was just 'misplaced output' or something from telnet, but
when I hit enter I got 'command not found'.  I don't understand where
VT102 came from, and why my shell interpreted it as valid input from
STDIN.   I checked env and term=vt100.  Just to do it, I

strings `which telnet` | egrep -i "vt102"

and nothing was found.  Could this be something sent from the proxy
server?  If so, can it be changed arbitrarily (rm -r *)?

This is a feature.  When your terminal software receives an ENQ character, it
will send back the name of your terminal (e.g., "vt100" or "xterm"), or
whatever else it's been instructed to send back.  Try it (ENQ is ASCII 5).

This is also the reason why receiving random binary data on a terminal will
often cause the terminal name to be printed many times.

In short, yes, this is caused by something sent from the proxy server (though
said proxy server is probably broken), and yes, it can be changed, but only by
the client terminal program, not by the ENQuiring side.  Probably the most you
can do is frighten someone who doesn't understand what's happening
(abracadabra, I will make you type "xterm"!).

--
 - mdz