Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Serv-U 2.5i DoS

From: Steven Bates <Craig () POP3 FREENET DE>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 06:22:36 -0700

Hi everybody!

First of all I have to say that I am very sorry for writing back that late,
but I have been busy learning for school all the time - I had to pass some
important exams.

I want to answer Ishay's questions now:

Was the flooding done in remote? if so what was the connection speed between
the 2 computers?
Yes, the flooding was done remotely. The Connection speed was 10Mbit, but I do
not think it's just because of the bandwidth. When I caneled the flooder
before Win shows the "90% of mem used" message Serv-U only showed about
8-10Kbps of traffic per second.

And, is it possible that the resources usage was high due to messages being
printed to console screen of the servu?
Well, that's the point. I think it might be some sloppy coding in the window,
yea...I am not to sure what exactly causes this behaviour, that's why I sent
the mail just to vuln-dev and not to bugtraq.
I'd like to test it on the internet, too, but I did (and do) not want to DoS
someone's server off the net...
Well, I am pretty sure that there is a bug in Serv-U - if it does not work on
the net, it will at least work in a local network (I tested it several times
in mine).

[Craig]
http://www.HaQuarter.De

----My-Original Message-----