Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Recovering the activation key from a Win2K installation

From: "Steven Evans" <steve () netwaynetworks com au>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 22:20:23 +1000

that is like saying "goto system properties and write down the key there".
The question states how can you get the CD-Key from an installation, not the
product key.  The product key is the un-encrypted, version of the 25-digit
activation key.

From what i have seen through hacking through windows is that atleast 5
digits of that key constitutes a product code (ie Windows Server family key
or Windows Workstation family key), a upgrade or full install or Australian
"must register twice"/OfficeXP-registration-styled code (ie, if you have
office 2k premium cd upgrade, and use a o2k premium full version product
key, it acts like a full-version install), and then a unique id and quite
possibly checksums in there too.

Therefore, i dont think it is possible of reverse-compiling the code without
knowing what their key algorithm is :(

Cheers