Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Antivirus scanner DoS with zip archives

From: Aycan Irican <aycan () mars prosoft com tr>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 10:50:14 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Robert Davidson Security wrote:

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 08:53:54PM +0200, Michel Arboi wrote:
--- Markus 'FvD' Weber <fvd () ira uka de> a ?crit?:
There is 42.zip out there, 42K total size, which consists of
nested zip's and at the end a 4GB file (IIRC 6 levels deep,
each level 17 'wide') ... kills most email virus checker.

I did not know it existed. Altavista found this on
http://www.hanau.net/fgk/downloads/42.zip

Why is this kind of attack not more common? I suspect that most filters
are vulnerable and yet, they are not listed as such (e.g. on
securityfocus). And companies continue to use them.

This used to be really common with BBS's back in their day.  The idea
back then was to get a 1Gb file full of null charactors, compress it
and upload it to the BBS, that way when the BBS's virus scanner (which
also uncompressed the file) attempted to check the archive for viruses,
it would either 1) consume all disk space, 2) keep the system busy for
ages (some people ran 386's and 486's back then).  The normal thing a
user would do is upload the file and then hang up, which also leaves
that dial-up line off-line while the virus scanner is checking the
contents of the archive.

--
Regards,
Robert Davidson.

oh yes, the old days ...I used pcboard on my BBS and the pfed file
integrity checker can run any batch job when a line starts with '@'.
It's an old vulnerability i know.

Maybe we should put disk quota for the user that runs virus scannner
thingy.