Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Antivirus scanner DoS with zip archives

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 12:59:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Michel Arboi wrote:

        [snip]

Countermeasures?
I am not sure that those attacks work (I just tried on my personal AV
at home). However, I'd suggest to forbid archives inside archives (or
not more than 1 level?!), or limit the global number & size of the
files inside.
A simple way to reject such things could be to set a timeout on the
scanning operation. If it takes too long, the file, attachment, web
page, whatever, is just rejected.

I'd appreciate comments on this weird idea...

How much ability to determine problems would be lost, if the scanner reads
only chunks of the file at a time, perhaps a tad larger then sed's line at
a time?

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.