Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Mail bug

From: fintler <fintler () halfbug com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 11:34:32 -0400 (EDT)

--- Gossi The Dog <gossi () owned lab6 com> wrote:

Hi,

I've discovered slightly odd behavour from /usr/bin/Mail on my Redhat
6.2
box.  I don't really have the time to fiddle with this, so I'm hoping
you
guys can provide feedback as to if this is reproducable on other
systems.

Lets start with version numbers;

[gossi@owned gossi]$ strings /bin/mail | grep version
version
Mail version %s.  Type ? for help.
$OpenBSD: version.c,v 1.4 1996/06/08 19:48:46 christos Exp $
If Mail encounters hex character x00 (aka ^@ as vi shows it), it seg
faults and dumps it core.  On Slackware and (I believe) Debian, Mail is
suid root.  On Redhat it isn't.  Other distros might have the suid bit
set.

There are two ways to easily reproduce this;

It worked without any problems (no seg fault) on slack 7.1...

fintler@bleedgreen:~$ strings /bin/mail | grep version
version
Mail version %s.  Type ? for help.
$OpenBSD: version.c,v 1.4 1996/06/08 19:48:46 christos Exp $
.gnu.version
.gnu.version_r
fintler@bleedgreen:~$

probally specific to your localhost or rh....

-fintler (fintler () msec net)