Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: WinXP raw sockets (was RE: Crack Office XP)

From: "ricardo_x" <ricardo_x () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:38:10 +0200

.... just wanted to add my 2 cents:

folks,
regardless whether any progy/os is crackable or not (btw please add
office-xp to the list)
what I find incredible and a true issue to this newsgroup is
micro$oft's
intention to 100% implement
the raw sockets specification. (see more info at Steve Gibson'
http://grc.com/dos/winxp.htm)

welcome to the jungle,

ricardo

[hope not very long]

Now ... in above text I just don't see any direct/indirect support to
Gibson's claims and arguments, I just stated that "I found *incredible* m$'s
*attempt* (at this stage) to implement the raw sockets specification.
I'm surely not a m$ fan (I know ... it's sad but true) but I also learned to
live with the fact that we'll have to work? (for a while at least ;) with
their products; Proof? I'm working right now in a windoze.

The premise is simple: everything is relative ... and that's also a lie.
M$ is trying (still) to catch-up in their new products with old-standards
long and well established in *nix, the questions is at what price? ... any
price?. I have no problem with that but, pleeeease ... can we have it done
right?.

I won't argue with anybody about the fact that any windoze's ip (w9x .. w2k)
can be spoofed but, in the other hand would anybody deny that it will be far
more easier in the future to write standard (ip spoofed) DDOS code office-xp
orientated?.
I believe is needless to say/argue/demonstrate that m$ out-of-the-box
products (and correctly? configured) products are very prone to security
flaws in comparison to others OS ... does anybody remember m$' isa server
publicity?. No wonder that we *all* suffer from m$'s plans of soft
integration and standarization: Starting with the end-home-user, admins to
the internet community.

Fact is that even if I don't share all the hype about Gibsons' statments,
his conclusions and circus around this issue I must admit that he touched a
very important issue: ISPs [my credit to Ryan Permeh who also considers this
a true threat]. How many of you had problems in the past (scans, ddos, etc)
and you couldn't get any further due to your ISP *friends*?

Hope my previous post it is clarified now

Ricardo