Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Gibson (was Crack Office XP)

From: "David Schwartz" <davids () webmaster com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:13:06 -0700

If Gibson isn't bright enough to figure out how to write a script kiddie
trojan to dynamically load the packet driver, I don't trust him enough to
be telling the world that he thinks there's a problem.  Besides, if this
was really a problem, we'd already see this occuring on Win32
systems, Unix
systems, Mac systems, etc - all of which support raw sockets.  Methinks
Gibsons diatribe was one more of wanting publicity for himself or
his site

        In fairness to Gibson, there does not exist any Unix system I know of that
has the flaw he claims Windows XP has. They all restrict access to raw
sockets to trusted/privileged code.

        DS