Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: smk

From: Vitaly McLain <twistah () DATASURGE NET>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 01:11:13 -0600

Hi,

it is also a hacker technique to cause  names within the hacker domain to
resolve to addresses within a company (including localhost/127.0.0.1).

I must be missing something (hey, it's late): what exactly is the technique?
Are you talking about simply pointing www.somedomain.com to 127.0.0.1 or
what? If so, how is that a "hacker technique" (ie, I don't see how that
possibly gains any leverage.) What do you mean "names within the hacker
domain to resolve to addresses within a company"? I guess what I am not
understanding is, a) what exactly the "hacker domain" is, b) what exactly
that would to gain extra privledges, c) do you mean company addresses as in
IP's that sit behind a router doing NAT?

Vitaly McLain
twistah () datasurge net
twistah @ OPN & EfNet
"If you don't turn on to politics, politics will turn on you."
       - Ralph Nader