Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: traceroute-4.4BSD (slack) heap overflow

From: Slawek <sgp () TELSATGP COM PL>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 10:18:58 +0100

Saturday, January 06, 2001 1:55 PM +0100, Cristi Dumitrescu wrote:
If you're using slackware, you'll find those lines close to the end of
traceroute.c.
The host is *not* given on the command line. It is resolved on the way.
But,
as far as I know, there is no way to convince the resolver to pass
anything
else besides 1-9, a-z, A-Z, . - and _. I don't know the maximum length and
I'm too lazy to search the sources and find it. Anyway, you would need
more
than 4 KB to overwrite something useful and I doubt you could have such a
hostname.

Hi,

DNS lookups and DNS reverse lookups are made by UDP.

AFAIR hostname in DNS lookups made by UDP is limited by protocol to 255
chars.

Hope this helps,
Slawek