Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Remote Root Exploit for Redhat 7.0

From: "Scott D. Yelich" <scott () SCOTTYELICH COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 15:22:29 -0700

On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Theodor Ragnar Gislason wrote:
Are you serious ?!! You change the headers of my exploit and try to get
credit for writing the exploit#%$#! What is wrong with you, why do such a
thin.

What? Are you new school or something?  This has been going on as long
as I can remember.  People make a name for themselves in many ways -- by
kissing the a$$ of someone who they think will help make them 'leet by
name droppping (ie: kiddies doing the dirty work for someone else) or by
posing.  One of the standard ways to pose is to replace an author's name
with another, claim something is elite and then try to spread it around
as much as possible.  Of course, the other is alternate identities that
do nothing but praise the supreme eliteness of the poser who is
pretending.

If you know this is the case, you can even play with it.  I won't
go into stories here, but there are some true classics.  You know,
perhaps instead of the sexchart (which you can now get on
by simply existing), how about a code-lamers chart... showing
all the posing.  Naw, this might actually be somewhat useful.

Don't sweat it.  Those who pose, pose, those who don't have to, don't.

Oh, another way to pose is to know one miniscule iota of something
obscure and then pretend to be god's gift to hackers by putting anyone
down who doesn't know this same miniscule iota of bullshit.  Of course,
then there are the grammar kiddies...

Scott