Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: buffer overflow - fundamentals

From: gregory duchemin <c3rb3r () HOTMAIL COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 15:29:26 -0000

not a heap but a data segment overflow, buff is global.

Gregory.

visi0n wrote:

>         This is a heap overflow, look for traceroute advisory.

it's a buffer overflow. not heap i think; in the source code i can see char
buff[2]; and not malloc() or new *char[2].. if it was c++.
a lot of good texts about buffer overflows and format bugs you can see at:

http://julianor.tripod.com by juliano rizzo from core SDI.

            -honoriak