Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ftp.exe buffer overflow ?

From: Bob Monkier <bmonkey () OOK OBJECTIONABLE NET>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:19:40 -0700

Oi

 I Think that this confirms Mr. Hassell's post.  If i were to exploit this
on a machine i think it would be easiest done by putting this in the start
up somewhere on ethernet based machine.  Has then been tested on NT?  If so,
the only thing that would need to be done is to have this run on start up
and then have it add a user with admin privs.  I'm not big on writing
exploits, so, I could be wrong on this.

I don't have too much experience with NT, but I assume that you would need
admin to have it run on startup.  A simpler trick would be to hack ring0
access and do it there :)  I know for a fact that its harder to do in NT
than in win9x, but its not impossible.

TTFN

BM