Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: /usr/bin/ddate buffer overflow

From: "enthh () FLASH NET" <enthh () FLASH NET>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:25:14 -0500

# gdb -c core /usr/bin/ddate
(gdb) info registers esp

This will give you the esp, and from there, you can brute force the offset
until it drops you a shell.

jumping 0xbffff717 off: 0
bash#

0xbffff717 would be the ret address you are looking for (ie: it dropped you
a bash shell). I believe it was an offset of -3128 from the esp, although I
may be wrong.