Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: What about NT's AUTORUN Vulnerability!

From: "O'Kelly, Aidan" <okelly () XNET IE>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:06:39 -0000

A quick explanation, you can place an autorun.inf file on ANY drive, so if
you have permission to write to C:\ or D:\ or any local drive (by default
any user does, on NT4 and Win2k) and you can tell it to run an exe when that
drive is accessed. The autorun.inf gets processed when you open the drive in
'My Computer' (explorer.exe) so you can place a trojan or some code to add a
user to the admin group or whatever and make an autorun.inf that runs is,
and put it on C:\, then when the admin browses C:\ it will run. Im not sure
what MS did to fix this.