Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Potential hole in Ettercap 0.6.2

From: Jonathan Bloomquist <bocasolutions () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 14:22:45 -0800 (PST)

--- Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () coredump cx> wrote:
On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Blue Boar wrote:

Goobles sent another post to vuln-dev today, which
was rejected due to
personal attacks in their note.

--snip--

I hate to say so, but maybe it is time to ignore
him? Instead of
forwarding posts or excerpts or notification about
yet another
vulnerability in a discontinued line of scientific
calculators,
command-line buffer overflow / format string bug in
a program that is not
supposed to be setuid, claims that a failure to log
authentication failure
is a "remote root exploit", or an advisory on data
leak as revelant to the
security of your system as disclosing your system
time or username by
Sendmail in mail headers? I am not saying we should
ignore valuable
research if it does not conform to some "style
guidelines", or that we
should reject such very minor (and often unverified)
bug reports if
described in an acceptable manner, but if it does
not have any value and
lacks style, it is just sad.

I think the guidelines are pretty well outlined in the
FAQ:

/*

Please follow the below guidelines on what kind of
information should be posted to the VULN-DEV list:

"I think I've found a new hole.."
"Here's a script to exploit the hole.."
"I can verify that it dumps core on my machine, too"
"Here's what I see in the debugger.."
"This is how I figured it out"

Basically, we want to facilitate people being able to
verify and take advantage of holes. The word "hole" is
used deliberately, and it refers to a bug that has a
potential security impact. You may very well find a
buffer overflow in a program, but if it's never used
in a security context (SETUID, part of a CGI script,
etc..) then it's probably not appropriate for the
list. If you're not sure if it applies or not, go
ahead and post it. If it's not security related, then
either the moderator will stop it or the list members
will point it out.

*/

Personal attacks are pretty clearly off-topic and if
the continuing spirit of GOBBLES revelations seems to
be tongue-in-cheek, well I say flush the troll.