Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: slackware permissions

From: Sam Vaughan <yamaneko () centurytel net>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 00:55:32 -0700 (PDT)

Having /var/log/cron set to 600 will not affect user's cron jobs.

Dillon cron's logging is either done through syslog or from the output of
crond.  On the other hand, I don't think logging is going to /var/log/cron
by default. It just gets created upon start up.

from the rc.d script that starts cron

# Start crond (Dillon's crond):
# If you want cron to actually log activity to /var/adm/cron, then change
# -l10 to -l8 to increase the logging level.
/usr/sbin/crond -l10 >>/var/adm/cron 2>&1

(note in slackware /var/adm is a link to /var/log)

Hope this helps,
Sam