Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Suspicious JOe.exe

From: <oktal () gmx co uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 21:11:13 +0100

From: <OblivionO () aol com>
I ran a hex editor on a copy of Joe.exe that was sent to me and although i
found most of the same information as the strings command, i was unable to
find the request of invite. Upon entering the iRC network that joe.exe is
connecting to i tried to enter channel "#penr0x". It is invite only, whcih
leads me to believe that when the zombie connects to irc it sends a
request
to a bot or botnetwork with a specific phrase, ordering the botnet to
invite
it to #penr0x.... My question is where would this phrase/nick be located
in
the file? i cant seem to find it although it seems to me that it should be
in
plain text...

The channel is invite-only for this reason: