Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Suspicious joe.exe

From: "Reb" <reb () viametrix com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 12:57:26 -0500

Greetings all,

For all of you that replied with a suggestion of:

You really should get a virus scanner.

I used to work for an anti-virus company and that's the *first* thing that I
did.  I made sure that I had the latest dat files from NAI (4151) and
scanned it on a different machine.  I then uploaded it to my linux box so
that I could easily see what was inside of the file.  From all the posts
that I have received both personally (thanks guys) and publicly this seems
to be a ddos attack agent with an irc controller.  It doesn't seem that
Symantec nor McAfee detects this version of the file, but Symantec should
get back to me soon.

A little more information on the box that was apparently compromised.  It
was built on an internal network of about 6 machines on a 192.168 subnet,
and none of the other machines on this network seems to have been
compromised.  It had the most blatant security issues dealt with
(IIS/shares/unused services) and was placed on a network with no firewall or
any other type of protection in front of it.  This wasn't MY idea to put it
out there all alone, but upper management didn't want it behind a firewall.
A week after being placed directly connected to the internet the box starts
locking up for no apparent reason.  Since I'm no longer walking distance
from the box it takes me a few hours to get to it.  I start troubleshooting
the problem and happen upon the Trojan.

Reb