Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: CR II - winME? confirmation? (Slightly OT)

From: "Enrique A. Compañ Gzz." <enrique () virtekweb net>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 12:14:33 -0500

Yeahp. It's true. Everyone is at risk of being exploited... not only by
CRI/II but to other variants of the worm too.
I have Win 2K, and I don't use my computer as a server, but I have a cable
modem and I'm connected constantly.

Normal users don't need to have IIS installed/running on their computers,
but some people (like me) DO have
IIS installed AND running, i.e. for development, testing, learning, etc. The
point is, that everyone can be vuln.

I was aware of this situation, since the first deep analisis of CR was
released... so I installed a firewall (Gauntlet ;-)) and everything is
right. I also have Mandrake 8.0. and found in the apache logs, an attempt
of  intrusion from a CR-owned host (it was actually an ISP from the US).

I think that's another example of the disadvantages of running m$ software.

Try switching to Linux/BSD...