Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: non-scriptkiddie IRC Channel for Vuln-Dev

From: "Scott D. Yelich" <scott () SCOTTYELICH COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 21:51:34 -0600

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Christopher Tresco wrote:
efnet is in chaos.  Lots of kiddies like to packet the servers.
I currently use:
irc.prison.net
irc.lightning.net
irc.stanford.edu

EFNET is a complete joke.  Many of the IRC OPs *ARE* script kiddies
and packet warriors.  Just look at core, exodus, etc.

The number of servers are shrinking...  those are are left are starting
to close open I: access.  Those that are still around after this get
DDoSed.  Even if you can get on IRC, you can't stay connected for any of
a myriad of reasons -- you're idling 3 seconds, well *this* server
doesn't allow that, so your entire network will be K: lined. You changed
your nicks twice in 3 weeks, that's a nick flood -- you're gone.  Your
login id has mixed case or digits -- hell, you *must* be a flood bot.
You have more than one connection (nevermind that we ops have 1/2a dozen
or more, just so we can stay connected), you're  cloning -- you're outta
here.

It's just a joke.

Even if you can get on IRC, the /ops will /kill you to take your nick...
channel.. whatever.  Of course, they swear up and down that they just
don't do this -- and to refer to  some mid '90s post on IRC myths...
whataver.

But, alas, since this *is* vuln-dev... lets talk about something on
topic.  How about the rabid insistance that no one IRC as root? and what
about identd?  People are *forced* to open identd just to get on IRC
(reliably?).

www.spy.org/Lamer_Time

It was true then, it's true now.

Scott
ps: isn't it ironic -- ERIS FREE ... ya, right!
pps: hemmet wasn't the first and it won't be the last.