Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: New worm?

From: 3APA3A () SECURITY NNOV RU (3APA3A)
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 18:53:01 +0400

Hello Blue,

I've got it too few hours ago. This is a very easy worm, but it can be
dangerous.  The  problem is this worm infects local files (.vbs, .vbe,
js,  jse  and others) and destroys them, makes "copies" of .jpg, jpeg,
.mp3, mp2 files with ".vbs" extension and installs one of the files:

http://www.skyinet.net/~young1s/HJKhjnwerhjkxcvytwertnMTFwetrdsfmhPnjw6587345gvsdf7679njbvYT/WIN-BUGSFIX.exe
http://www.skyinet.net/~angelcat/skladjflfdjghKJnwetryDGFikjUIyqwerWe546786324hjk4jnHHGbvbmKLJKjhkqj4w/WIN-BUGSFIX.exe
http://www.skyinet.net/~koichi/jf6TRjkcbGRpGqaq198vbFV5hfFEkbopBdQZnmPOhfgER67b3Vbvg/WIN-BUGSFIX.exe
http://www.skyinet.net/~chu/sdgfhjksdfjklNBmnfgkKLHjkqwtuHJBhAFSDGjkhYUgqwerasdjhPhjasfdglkNBhbqwebmznxcbvnmadshfgqw237461234iuy7thjg/WIN-BUGSFIX.exe

I can't download one of this files because www.skyinet.net seems to be
dead  (may be because of huge number of requests) so I can say nothing
about  what  is  it.  I  have  reported this to abuse () skyinet net, got
nothing but a autoreply.

To remove it:
remove all .vbs, .vba files (even if you had ones they are destroyed by worm)
remove LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.HTM file
remove registry keys:
 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\MSKernel32
 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices\Win32DLL
Set  correct Download directory and Start Page for IE.

Kaspersky  Lab  just  reported  about  this  worm,  it's classified as
I-Worm.LoveLetter and included in daily update of AVP bases.

--
Best regards,
 3APA3A