Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Automatic Retaliation contra DoS

From: mikael.olsson () ENTERNET SE (Mikael Olsson)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:29:11 +0200

sigipp () WELLA COM BR wrote:

Hi,

My idea was not a retaliation of type attacking your machine. Not even closing
      the door. Simply throttling down (simulating line congestion for the
      attacker). There would be nothing significantly in your firewall logs, or
      even nothing. It would be simply that an increasing percentage of your
      (the attackers) packets will get lost. Nothing more. The maximum you would
      find in your firewall logs is an icmp message of type "host unreachable"
      of some intermediate router.

I know I'm late into this thread (haven't been keeping up with my list
subscriptions again. agh) but I feel I have to say this much:

Cutting off someone as a result of a probe, or even decreasing their
throughput, may lead to serious problems. What if I launch a spoofed
attack against you and claim to be a bunch of the top level DNS
servers? (Owie!)

Granted, only doing this if you confirm a full TCP connect reduces
the risks of DoSign yourself. IF your server OS has good sequence
number randomization, of if your firewall provides it for you.

A point of interest: Watchguard blocks "attackers" by default,
and if you disable this "protection", you open yourself up
to DoS since its proxies are WAY over-sensitive without the block.

/Mike

--
Mikael Olsson, EnterNet Sweden AB, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK
Phone: +46-(0)660-29 92 00         Fax: +46-(0)660-122 50