Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Local DoS : RedHat 6.0

From: ras () SLARTIBARTFAST MAGRATHEA COM (Robert A. Seace)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 07:43:06 -0400

In the profound words of ~jim:

Hello,

I'm not sure if this problem has ever been addressed or not, but
considering that I just spent a day recovering from a corrupted root
partition (and this can be done by *any* user with window manager
access), I thought this might be worth mentioning anyway.

While killing yet another zombie Netscape process, I made the mistake of
typing "kill -9 -1 <pid>" as opposed to the normal "kill -9 <pid>."  For
obvious reasons, this attempted to kill every process owned by my user
and hung the entire system in the process.  (aka. I couldn't even switch
to another console to attempt recovery.)  Unfortunately the only way to
recover was to "hard boot" the system and run the risk of corrupting my
root partition in the process.  (Of course with my luck it corrupted.)

I actually noticed this "bug" about a year ago, but since forgot about
it.  From what I've experienced, it definitely happens when a user types
"kill -9 -1" while in RedHat 6.0's Gnome/Enlightenment or Afterstep,
however I haven't tested any other window managers or versions of Linux.

        Unless you were root at the time, I really doubt that it "hung
the entire system"...  I imagine it just forcably killed important
stuff like your X server, leaving your console in a wacked out state,
where you just couldn't do anything from it...  I've had that happen
before, on rare occasions...  Eg: the Unreal Tournament demo used to
sometimes totally screw up my console like that...  But, I was always
able to just telnet in from a different host and do a controlled reboot...
(There may be a way to reset things without even needing to reboot, but
that generally tends to be the quickest/easiest fix...  As detestable
and Microsoft-like as it may be... ;-))

        In any case, such a "DoS" would require console access, I'd
think...  And, if you've got console access, well, I think this is
not really the WORST thing you could do to the system, if you wanted
to, anyway... ;-)

--
|| Robert A. Seace ||               URL              || ras () magrathea com ||