Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: reverse engineer c or java

From: sebastion () IRELANDMAIL COM (Jeff Bachtel)
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 10:51:14 -0500

The problem is that with optimizing compilers, a given output of the
compiler has an infinite (or thereabouts ;) number of possible source
programs. The fact is, that a decompiler can produce perfectly valid C
code, that makes no sense to normal humans.

This does not take into account self-modifying code, which would
require a decompiler coupled with a simulation engine, and logic to
detect flow between possible states of the program, and the
algorythmns used.

Now, for the guy who was blabbering incessantly (initd_ ?) about
review of source code of say ssh/ssl. BlueBoar wasn't saying that they
were vulnerable to a trivial exploit... he was saying that IF a
protocol or piece of code is vulnerable to a trivial exploit, it can
usually be found quickly by walking through the code (but obviously
not too quickly, the source code for RSAREF had been out there HOW
long before sshd exploits popped up?).

It is interesting to note, however, that in contrast to initd_'s own
example (ssh), there IS a vulnerability that was found in its protocol
leading to possible session hijacking (which was fixed in the ssh2
protocol)

jeff