Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: reverse engineer c or java

From: cerebus () SACKHEADS ORG (Miller, Timothy)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 12:34:40 -0500

Bluefish <11a () GMX NET> writes:

Anyway; given access to files, it is easier to create backdoored variants
if the source code is open, or you use java (seems to be close to the same
thing ;) But to rely upon C with none-open sourcecode is not the solution,
because it simply makes it harder, it doesn't stop an inventive attacker
with good programming knowledge.

Exactly so; I've seen more than enough binary patches in my time to
scare the bejeezus out of anyone.

However, with open access to the source, one can easily perform a
code-walk and a compile verification against distributed binaries.
The login/gcc backdoor aside, this provides a much greater degree of
assurance.