Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: chsh Segfault on FreeBSD 3.3

From: wilder () HQ ALERT SK (Pavol Luptak)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 15:40:09 +0200

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 01:57:45PM +0200, Fabio Pietrosanti wrote:
Hi, playing with some suid files on my FreeBSD 3.3 (FreeBSD
bsd01.nonexist.it 3.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #0: Thu Jan  1
01:49:51
CET 1998     root@:/usr/src/sys/compile/MATRICE  i386 )

i notice thaht chsh return me a Segmentation fault .
where you run chsh it start the $EDITOR and give you a tmp file with :

#Changing user database information for fabio.
Shell: /usr/local/bin/bash
Full Name: Fabio Pietrosanti
Office Location:
Office Phone:
Home Phone:
Other information:

if i delete a line on with information is null( Office Phone or Office
Location in this example) chsh magically crash.

I found this bug 5 months ago, I attach document, where this problem was
exactly described. Look for Brock Tellier and Michal Zalewski reactions
in exploit-development mail archives.

Regards,

Pavol Luptak

--
[wilder () hq alert sk] [http://hq.alert.sk/~wilder] [talker: ttt.sk 5678]

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>text/plain attachment: ole_
</UL>

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>