Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

chsh Segfault on FreeBSD 3.3

From: fabio () TELEMAIL IT (Fabio Pietrosanti)
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 13:57:45 +0200

Hi, playing with some suid files on my FreeBSD 3.3 (FreeBSD
bsd01.nonexist.it 3.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #0: Thu Jan  1
01:49:51
CET 1998     root@:/usr/src/sys/compile/MATRICE  i386 )

i notice thaht chsh return me a Segmentation fault .
where you run chsh it start the $EDITOR and give you a tmp file with :

#Changing user database information for fabio.
Shell: /usr/local/bin/bash
Full Name: Fabio Pietrosanti
Office Location:
Office Phone:
Home Phone:
Other information:

if i delete a line on with information is null( Office Phone or Office
Location in this example) chsh magically crash.

/etc/pw.w52226: 6 lines, 151 characters.
Segmentation fault
[fabio@bsd01 fabio]$

I don't know about security implication of this crash, but someone could
check this.

Fabio Pietrosanti a.k.a. NaiF