Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

regarding phrack49's stack smashing tutorial

From: ch () WESTEND COM (Christian Hammers)
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 20:56:41 +0200

Hello list

I'm learning about stack overflows from Aleph's article in Phrack #49.

Now I wonder about the following sentences:
        "The answer is that for every program the stack will start at
        the same address."
Why does it and more specific *where*? I wrote some test programs and
saw that is always 0xbffff6c6 +- 0xff. But it changes sometimes.
What is so special about this 0xbffffffff address and by the way
this address never fits into my 64M memory.... !

If anybody know other documents which explains buffer overflows I would
appreciate any information.

thanks,

 -christian-

--
Linux - the choice of the GNU generation.          Join the Debian Project
                                                     http://www.debian.org