Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: CGI source being exposed using "~"

From: jlegate () ALIENCHICK COM (Jason Legate)
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 18:00:50 -0700

The two regexps you are looking for are "\~$" and "\.cgi.+$" I believe.

Or does apache not use + for multiple matches?

-j

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 07:23:56PM -0700, Brian McKinney wrote:
Andrew Reisse said:

<On my servers, I put a section like this in httpd.conf to prevent editor
<backups from being read (which, as you said, might contain passwords or
<other interesting data)

<Files ~ "^\~">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Files>

I have tried adding that to a couple of apache servers with no luck. The
source is still being displayed. as suggested by a friend i even tried:

<Files ~ "^\.cgi.$">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Files>

for blocking files like cgi.text and cgi.bak. I still got the same results.
is there something im missing?

Thanks in advance

Brian

--