Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: spoofing the ethernet address

From: dylanal () EARTHLINK NET (-DAL-)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 10:44:50 -0800

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 01:58:29PM -0500, Bobby, Paul wrote:
Been playing with hping, and I imagine other IP spoofing tools generate the
same types of packets.

The spoofed packet contains a bogus IP address, yes. However the ethernet
address (MAC) is the address of the sending machine.

Is it possible to spoof this address also? Would someone have to write a
custom ethernet driver?

Paul Bobby
-----------------
<dream> Got Root? </dream>

Yes it is possible to spoof the ethernet address, in fact a portable easy
to use library has been built to this end (not the author, just a user) its
called libnet and can be found at:

http://www.packetfactory.net

Though I can't seem to connect right now.  If you are impatient, let me
know and I'll send you the version I have (libnet-0.99b.tgz) offlist.

                                                regards -DAL-

--
-DAL-
dylanal () NOSPAMearthlink net