Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Cisco Catalyst switches

From: jay.tribick () CARRIER1 NET (Jay Tribick)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:34:19 +0100

Hi,

There was a thread on this in the bugtraq archives a while
back - search on securityfocus.com for 'VLAN Security'

Hi.

It would be interesting if there was a vulnerability that allowed you to
break the VLAN definitions.. I know many companies that practically run
their entire networks together into several Catalysts via VLANS :) Secure
networks and public ones right next to each other.

I thought that based on the nature of VLANS that they would not be
susceptible to attack from the network layer because they switch traffic
based on the port number, not on any content of the frame or packet? Still,
it would be interesting :)

Cya
Matthew

Matthew King.
Network Engineer, Cable & Wireless Optus.