Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: NAV 2000 Doesn't Catch "Life Stages" Worm ...

From: ecchien () YAHOO COM (Eric Chien)
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:50:13 +0200

Hello Blake,

I would be interested to see you back up those claims with some proof.
First, how do you know the infected samples received are truly infected?  I
have seen 0 byte attachments and also ones with the viral code completely
white-spaced out.  Both occurences probably occur due to some handmade
tools being used on mail servers to clean out infections.

In addition, users of course need to be sure they are using Scan All Files
or have SHS added to their list of extensions.

Before claiming that Norton AV 2000 doesn't detect VBS.Stages, I would
suggest you submit the file in question to SARC (Symantec AntiVirus
Research Center).  You can do so by sending it to me at
echien () symantec com.  Please send it in a zip file that has been password
protected and send the password.  My guess is that it either is a
'repaired' sample or the configurations on the client are not properly set.

Regards,

Eric Chien
SARC